Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Guest Speaker

So in my Sociology of Gender class we had a guest speaker: a cross dresser.

I kid you not. An adult male, probably mid to late 40's, in a dress, heels, whig on, and make up.

I walked into class, saw the guest speaker, took my seat, and wondered how the next 50 minutes of my life were going to play out.

For the most part, it was quite interesting. He wasn't pushy or defensive about what he does. It was okay with him if we thought it was weird. He was just there to explain why he does it and give us some perspective. I think because he wasn't pushy or anything, it was easier for me to be open minded.

He argues that women cross dress everyday (wearing pants, t-shirts, tennis shoes etc) so it's only fair that men get to cross dress sometimes too. I don't really agree with this though (the idea that women cross dress everyday) because I wear pants for comfort and practical purposes--not with the intention of being more masculine or more like men.

Another thing that surprised me is that he's married with children. Getting all gussied up is apparently just something that he does as a "hobby" he calls it. He said he doesn't feel like he was born in the wrong body, but dressing like a woman is just something fun for him to do from time to time. When he's dressed that way, he still talks with his normal voice...which is kind of hard to get used to. haha Nothing high pitched or feminine, he just speaks with the low voice that he has. His wife and kids know that he does it but no one else does--not his neighbors, co-workers, etc. He dresses like a man around them.

I don't know why I'm telling you guys about this. It was an interesting experience. He was very nice. And while I don't agree with what he does (I think it mostly bothers me because he has a wife and children and I would think that'd be hard) it was interesting being exposed to somebody that's not the "norm".

3 comments:

  1. I know what you mean, and I can see where you are coming from. I think that I would have felt similar to you. Um, one question though, if no one knows that he does this aside from his family, how did your teacher know that he did? Is your teacher also in the cross dressing group? Or was it your teacher?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's ok Mallo, Just between me and you (and everyone else that may read this)Adam does that sometimes too but there is definately a voice attached to it. hahaha. He says it has something to do with the dress up days from his youth and playing Miss Madison.
    Lots of loves
    Cami

    ReplyDelete
  3. woah. no i understand the difference between sociology and anthropology. that would never happen in my classes. haha

    ReplyDelete