Thursday, October 11, 2012

A Day in the Big City...

So I've been living in Virginia for over two weeks, applying to jobs like crazy and have been....kind of a stress case.  After talking/crying to my sweet sister on the phone, we decided I should probably go into the city and do something fun for a day.  What a novel idea.  I tend to be drastic with myself sometimes and think that I can't rationalize going out and doing things that cost money when I don't have an income.  Well, sometimes a girl just needs to get out and do something fun.  So here is the bulleted goodness of a Friday in DC:
  • Drove to the nearest metro stop, parked my car and was nearly giddy at the excitement of taking the METRO into the city for a day.  Last time I did this was in Paris about 2 months ago and I could have vomited with how happy I was.  Let's just get it out on the table that I'm in love with public transport--talking to strangers and not having to worry about other cars swerving into me are just a few of the perks.
  • Talked to a darling chinese man named Patrick on the metro.  He gave me his phone number and told me to call him if I needed any help finding work.  He's happily married and was taking his wife to New York for the weekend to see Phantom of the Opera.  He reached into his bag and pulled out a folder of all of the songs from Phantom of the Opera that he translated into mandarin chinese so that his sister could appreciate the message of the music.  How darling is this man?! Loved that convo. Yup.
  • Woman outside the metro tried to sell me a tourism map for $13.  She loved my reaction, we laughed, I think we're friends now actually haha aaannddd...the map was free.
  • Passed a cute old man on the street holding a bouquet of flowers.  I must look like I'm from out of town because he asked "Are you new here?" as I was oogling upward at the buildings.  Shook my hand, we made small talk, wished me well on the job hunt, the end of cute old man encounter. 
  • Zara.  Want a paycheck so that my wardrobe and their clothing line can be one in the same.
  • Thought I overheard italian but he was on the phone so it was hard to work that into a conversation.  Annddd the chap was making a ponytail work in his favor.  Who does that besides Johnny Depp in "Chocolat"?  This is unheard of.  I have just concluded that he must be italian.  It's the only explanation.
  • Art museum.  "Soldiers Widower" one of my favorites.  It resembled an unsightly Gerard Depardieu in a bonnet.  And yet...was supposed to be a soldiers widower. haha Awesome.  Not allowed to take pics in that exhibit but...that's what they said in "The David" museum and I'm a proud owner of 2 David pics, slightly blurry, taken poking out of my purse.  haha  Not my classiest move but I don't regret it.
  • RODIN--nearly got straight up emotional seeing his work.  August Rodin has made some of the most lovely sculptures I've ever seen.  Back in '07 when I kicked it in Paris full-time, we went to the Rodin museum for art class one day.  I fell in love.  So running into an exhibit of his work today was exactly what the doctor ordered...if the doctor is me.  Below is "The Kiss".
 More Rodin.  You know, "The Thinker".  NBD.  Lies.  BD.
  • Took a photo for two Russian women.  They asked me if I was voting for Romney--they ADORE him.  They asked if I was mormon.  One lady taught at a university and said that mormons were her best students.  Looky there.  
  • Paintings of fruit and wine get old to me.  
  • Paintings of dead rabbits never did anything for me.  Don't know what that says about my ability to appreciate art but...I just move to the next gallery when I walk into a room full of fruit, wine and dead animals hanging from twine.
  • Paid the Capital a visit.  Walked the mall toward the Washington monument.  Couldn't stop thinking about how fun it will be to actually live in the city and go for jogs there all the time.
  • Went to the National Museum of American History.  Took a wee gander at Dorothy's slippers, Kermit, the evolution of music playing devices--tape player, walkman, to all things apple-- and then meandered through the Civil war section.  Again, can't wait to live closer and take more time at each of these places.
  • Passed the Washington monument on the way to the Presidents home.  Literally as I was approaching the White House, a trio of helicopters flew into the White House grounds.  This was the day after the Colorado debate.  So I snapped a pic.  Loved every second of the tourists freaking out at the sight. (Myself being one of them but on a less ridiculous scale.)  

  • After the helicopter lands the group hears a voice behind us saying, "Everyone, I just want you to know that Jesus loves you so much."  She proceeds to direct us to the pavilion behind her where they were singing about Jesus and all were invited to join.  I mostly just loved the cute little french couple as the man translated what was going on to his lady friend.  
  • Grabbed a bite to eat.  Delicious salad.  One of the workers said hello and stared long enough for me to question that his intentions were strictly customer service based.  As I was leaving he approached me saying he'd been looking for me and he was "very attractive to me". haha  Hmm...He was persistent that we must exchange numbers, meet and go to happy hour together.  haha Oh dear.  Kind sir, just so not happening.  I left and a couple of blocks later, he's right next to me!  He took his break at work and ran after me I guess and said, "You didn't say goodbye".  Hmm...how fickle of me to not bid farewell to this complete stranger that was hardcore creeping on me.  He had written down his e-mail, phone number and name.  Yes, my friends, his name is Sheriff!!  Unbelievable. haha I love my life in all of its non-stop awkwardness.
All in a days work.  Happy Friday errbody.

3 comments:

  1. Do you ever have a boring day? I think you really need to write a book on your adventures. Well, either that or I just want to follow you around when you explore. You see the world in the eyes of a fearless young person. I'm just glad they didn't catch you playing in any fountains.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok. Ok. This is the best post ever. Full of happiness and joy. You are wonderful and I miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I disagree, mom. I think some fountains are just begging to be played in. And I dare say, some of the interesting folk Mallory meets just might join her in a wee fountain frolic. I love this post. You meet such interesting people and have such fun stories.

    ReplyDelete