Friday, October 26, 2012

Tears, squirrels and chocolate covered almonds

Things have been crazy train in these parts.  Bulleted randomness in 3, 2,...


  • I accepted a 6 month nannying position.  Is it what I want to do forever?  Not in the least.  However, it's great money for right now and it'll give me the chance to save, get to know the area and make contacts until my time with them is up and I can find a different job.
Me:           
 "My life is turning out to be much less like the Rachel McAdams film that I was hoping it'd be."

My friend:  
"Which film were you thinking?"

Me:              
"Well, "Morning Glory" but if I had to make out with Ryan Gosling than I'd do that.  WHO would complain if their life was like the Notebook?  I can think of no one."

  • The day after I agreed to stay six months as a nanny, I got TWO phone calls of potential job offers.  Let's just say I nearly threw up and literally cried on and off the whole day.  Seriously?  The DAY after I accept to be a nanny for six months of my life?  Ugh, not great.  Not great. Timing=off.   I thanked them and told them if they had openings in 6 months that I'd be very berry interested.  
  • I went to a crepe party on Sunday night.  I am obsessed with being around people that have been to Europe and have a love and appreciation for it in any way.  It was fun to talk and laugh with ladies that have genuine feelings for a location like I do.  
  • My car was driving kind of funny after that party.  I had nearly run over a squirrel on my way to the party and had the fleeting thought, "The little guy couldn't have jumped up into the entrails of my car and now he's squished and cooking in there could he?"  Gross.  Yeah, that thought actually crossed my mind.  Turns out, there's something wrong with the clutch and it's currently been taken apart and worked on for the past three days.
  • Went out Halloween costume shopping with my friend last night.  There's a Halloween party tonight (Friday) and my friend is hosting it and requires spooky get-up of some sort.   I'm always the worst at coming up with costumes because I don't want to settle for the "kitty" or "fairy" costume that so often seems to be the costume of choice for ladies.
  • I ran across some chocolate covered almonds that looked delish in the store.  I opened them and started snacking on them.  Was I really all that hungry?  negative.  But Rachel did it in a Friends episode once and I've always thought it'd be funny to do.  And it was.  haha
  • I went on a date with a gent that turns out to be ....a great deal older than me.  We're talking 13 years.  Awk Awk Awk.  Nice guy and all but I'm just not able to handle an age difference and all of the baggage he's got going on at this time of my life.  I'm just 25.  Just not ready to deal with all of that at this phase of my life.
  • Speaking of, I was sleeping over at my friends house this week and she was telling me about the fellas in the ward.  She lovingly describes them all as "short accountants".  haha She and her roommate also went off talking about the baggage that the men have in the ward.  It's awkward thinking about the kind of guys that I'll be going out with because I've kind of entered "baggage land".  Not DC specifically, but this age group.  My friend explains that when you're single for so long, you just have a lot of bad relationships and stuff that have added up and left a toll on you.  It's just different than dating as a little 23 year old RM.  Somehow the extra two years have bumped me up to new category of baggage claim.  This should be fun.
  • I have days that I really miss France, days that I really miss Italy and now days that I really miss Uganda.  It's weird having my heart in so many different places with so many different people.  I had an "I miss Uganda" day the other day.  I miss the simplicity of life.  I miss how low maintenance everything felt.  I miss how the core things, the most important things--people--are all that really matter.  I nearly teared up in church this last Sunday because I think about being in church a few months ago with very different scenery and people in much more difficult life circumstances. 
  • One of my Sundays in Uganda, I had to help in primary.  I was really stressed and had no idea what to do with all of those kids for two hours.  We talked about prayer and had them draw pictures of things they thank God for at night.  One of the kids drew their family and wrote, "I thank God for keeping my family alive."  Wow.  She wasn't just thankful for her family, but it she legitimately feels grateful for the fact that they were all still alive.  With their mortality rate in their 40's, it's no wonder that having family and friends along as long as you can is something to be thankful for.  It's a good reminder for me.  Yeah, I'm not at my perfect job, my car isn't working and have an awkward dating life.  Oh me and my first world problems.  It's good for me to remember that I have an awful lot and I'm very blessed and lucky.  Things will always work out how they should and I should always always be thankful.
  • And in closing, it turns out dark chocolate covered almonds are delicious.  Grabbing some in the store the next time you go and eating some before you pay for them wouldn't be the worst idea.  Just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment