Thursday, October 28, 2010

Half-Mara..whaty?

So a couple of months ago I thought it'd be killer cool to train for a half marathon. Well according to the countdown that laughs at me from the Half-marathon website...it is currently only 1 day, 9 hours and 23 minutes away. Permission to grab the nearest brown paper sack and have myself a right nice panic attack?

Perhaps it would've been wise to start small like...I dunno...a lil' 5k run. Or if feeling more adventurous...even a 10 k. What is that? 6 miles? Yeah, why did I not just start there? You know, just to break myself into the race scene. Well lets focus on the positive:

  • When I finish the race I'll be able to say that I've done something that I've never done before. that's pretty cool right?

  • It's a Halloween half-marathon so I get to run 13 miles in costume...so...seizing the day will be exactly what I'll be doing. And besides, perhaps my fellow racers will look a lot less intimidating to me if they're dressed like this:



  • Free t-shirt. Who doesn't need another PJ shirt?
  • I'll probably feel like this when I'm done...



Or maybe she's just starting the race...she doesn't look sweaty or in pain.



However because I'm awesome at coming up with worst-possible situations. Let me tell you one or two of my fears.

  • I will finish very berry last.

  • I will pull something incredibly awkward...like my groin. haha Okay so I don't think you can pull that...but that would be brutality right?

  • Tripping and taking out fellow runners...kinda like the running version of Tour de France mishaps.

Well I really am excited. Nervous out-of-my-mind, but excited. Should be a solid good time. And as long as I don't need to walk or come in last place then I will consider it a romping success.

5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you are writing again. Your 'random' thoughts always make me smile. I'm pretty proud of you for doing this running thing, don't understand it, but proud. Can't wait to cheer you on on Saturday. I love you! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're writing again too. A little something fun to look forward to! I think you're pretty stinkin' awesome for running and can't wait to hear how it goes tomorrow! I'm sure it will be just plain awesome. Take pictures of awkwardly dressed runners afterward for us to make fun of later. I don't think you will need to walk nor will you come in last place. It will be great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried to post a comment from work the other night but it was having a spaz attack so sorry for the late support. :) I am beyond blown away by you and your amazingness!! Seriously I can't even fathom running a 1/2. You are gonna do fantastic and I agree with Kimmy you have been working so hard I doubt there is any chance you are gonna have to walk or be anywhere close to last! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Proud of you Mallory. you were a trooper the whole way through. It was fun to jog with you a little bit and make sure that you were doing ok. you my friend are a gentleman and a scholar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So proud. Also, you CAN pull your groin, and let me tell you; it ain't pretty.

    ReplyDelete